Since its founding in 1967, Legal Services of the Hudson Valley has relied on the assistance of generous individuals, foundations and corporations to help support our mission to provide high quality counsel in civil matters for poor and low-income individuals and families and other vulnerable persons who do not have access to the legal representation needed to meet their basic needs. Pursuit of this mission includes a commitment to principles and practices of diversity and inclusion to ensure justice for all persons regardless of their economic or social conditions.
- Because we are all just one illness or tragedy away from a life-changing challenge.
- Because the people we serve are our neighbors… our brothers and sisters… our friends… and they need help at scariest times of their lives.
- Because your support will make a positive difference in the lives of tens of thousands of individuals who could otherwise lose a basic necessity of life.
- Because the number of people in need of our assistance is growing at a time when government support is shrinking.
- Because failure to help vulnerable populations will impose considerable costs on governments, communities and taxpayers in the future.
- Investing in legal services is a powerful and immediate way to address the urgent needs of individuals in crisis right here in our own communities.
WAYS TO GIVE
Cash Contributions: Cash gifts can be made by check payable to: Legal Services of the Hudson Valley and sent to: Development Office, Legal Services of the Hudson Valley,90 Maple Avenue, White Plains, NY 10601.
Credit Card Contributions: We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover credit cards. Use our donations page.
Pledged Contributions: If you would like to divide your pledge over a period of time, we would be happy to facilitate that process for you. Pledges can be made monthly, quarterly, semi-annually or annually; we would be pleased to send you reminder notices.
Commercial Partnerships Your firm or business can make equal justice possible by making in-kind donations, such as legal, IT or other professional support or giving a percentage of your revenues.
Gifts of Stock: Gifts of appreciated securities can provide donors with excellent tax advantages, as there are no capital gains taxes on the appreciation.
Matching Gifts: Many corporations match their employee’s charitable contributions. This is an excellent way for current and retired employees and their spouses to double or triple their gift! Your human resources office will have the necessary forms to apply if you work for a company with a matching gift program.
Memorial/Tribute Contributions: If you would like to honor or memorialize someone through a contribution to Legal Services of the Hudson Valley, we would be delighted to help you. We will send an acknowledgement letter to the person or family you wish to honor, letting them know you have made a contribution. The amount of your gift is not mentioned unless you wish it to be.
Foundation and Corporate Giving: Many of Legal Services of the Hudson Valley’s programs are supported by generous contributions from foundations and corporations. Areas in need of funding include housing, elder law, benefits, children’s advocacy, domestic violence, protection and advocacy for people with disability.
Cy Pres and Residual Fund Awards: Cy Pres and Residual Fund Awards result from undistributed or unclaimed residual funds awarded in class action cases. A party to the class action case can propose Legal Services of the Hudson Valley as a recipient of these funds.
Planned Giving: Planned giving is a technique that can allow you to make a meaningful charitable gift that benefits the long-term financial strength of Legal Services of the Hudson Valley, while obtaining significant tax advantages for yourself (Please consult with your professional advisor when considering making a charitable planned gift). Some of the vehicles available include:
- Bequests: A bequest is when you put Legal Services of the Hudson Valley in your will and designate a portion of your estate or a specific gift to it.
- Life Insurance: You can designate Legal Services of the Hudson Valley the beneficiary or co-beneficiary of a life insurance policy, which can provide charitable deductions for your estate.
- Life Income: There are several types of Life Income Instruments. Contributors benefit by receiving valuable income provided by the capital involved for the life of the trusts. Some of the instruments are remainder trusts, lead trusts, unitrusts and annuity trusts.
- Property: Gifts of appreciated property can provide your estate with a deduction for the full market value and avoid costly capital gains taxes.
Third Party Fundraising Events: A third party event is an activity hosted by an outside party to raise money on behalf of LSHV. If you’re interested, please see our Third Party Fundraising Event Guide.
We truly appreciate donations at all levels!
Legal Services of the Hudson Valley (LSHV) is committed to maintaining the privacy of our website visitors and donors and maintaining the confidentiality of your personal information. LSHV collects and uses personal information such as name, address, phone number, and email address to process and acknowledge donations accordingly. LSHV does not sell, trade, or share its donor list with any other organization, although it does publish a general list of contributors in its Annual Report and website each year as well as include information as required in its IRS filings. All personal information provided to us is stored in databases located on servers which are behind firewalls and all donations made online are encrypted using the latest in encryption technology. We will use your contact information to keep you informed about how donations are used as well as the import work being done by our organization.
As a recipient of Legal Services Corporation funds, no funds received by us may be expended for any purpose prohibited by the Legal Services Corporation Act at 42 U.S.C. 2996 et seq. and the regulation at C.F.R. Parts 1600-1644 or by Public Law 104-134.
A copy of these laws, our Annual Report, Audited Financial Statement, or our 501(c)(3) charitable status may be obtained, upon request, from Legal Services of the Hudson Valley’s Development Office at 914-949-1305 ext 174, or from the NY State Attorney General’s Charities Bureau, Attn: FOIL Officer, 120 Broadway, New York, NY 10271.
LSHV Charitable Solicitation Disclosure Statement
The mission of Legal Services of the Hudson Valley (LSHV) is to provide high quality counsel in civil matters for poor and low-income individuals and families and other vulnerable persons who do not have access to the legal representation needed to meet their basic needs. Pursuit of this mission includes a commitment to principles and practices of diversity and inclusion to ensure justice for all persons regardless of their economic or social conditions.
A copy of LSHV’s latest annual financial report may be obtained from the organization by calling (914) 949-1305 x175 or from the Attorney General’s Charities Bureau’s Website – www.charitiesnys.com or (212) 416-8686.