Learn more about Legal Services of Hudson Valley (LSHV) through some questions we are sometimes asked.


What services does LSHV provide?

LSHV offers free comprehensive civil legal assistance to individuals and families who cannot afford a private attorney. This includes help with issues such as housing (evictions, foreclosures, and landlord-tenant disputes), family law (domestic violence, child custody, and support), public benefits (SNAP, Medicaid, unemployment benefits), disability advocacy, consumer law, and more. The goal is to ensure equal access to justice for all people in the community, regardless of their ability to pay.

Who is eligible for assistance from LSHV?

Eligibility for assistance from LSHV typically depends on income level, legal issue, and residency. Generally, services are aimed at low-income individuals and families, seniors, veterans, and people with disabilities in the Hudson Valley area. Specific eligibility criteria may vary based on the type of legal matter and funding requirements. It is best to contact us directly for a detailed assessment of eligibility.

How can I get help from LSHV?

To get help from LSHV, you can start by calling their main office or filling out our contact form on the Contact page. We may conduct an initial screening over the phone to assess your situation and determine if you qualify for our services. If eligible, you will be connected with an attorney or legal professional who can assist you with your legal issue(s). It is important to provide all relevant information and documents during your consultation to ensure the best possible assistance.

Will I Need To Pay Anything?

We do not charge for our services.

How Should I Prepare To Talk To An Attorney Or Paralegal?

Once you know that you have a legal issue, please contact our office as soon as possible so that we have enough time to prepare for court dates and meet other deadlines. Have any papers related to the case available, and make sure that you know the full names of other people involved in the case (for example, your landlord or roommates). You might want to write out some notes about what happened so that you can be sure that you tell us everything. We will need to talk directly with the person who has the legal issue, unless another person has been legally appointed power of attorney or guardian.

Are There Cases That You Cannot Handle?

We do not take criminal cases, parking violations, probate (challenging or proving the validity of a will), surrogates court cases, and adult guardianship.

What Will Happen When I Contact You?

After you call or submit an online application, a paralegal will ask you questions about yourself and your household, and about your legal issue. If your case looks like one that we might be able to handle, an attorney will follow up with you to have a more detailed conversation. The attorney may represent you in court or provide you with advice about your legal issue. If we cannot take your case, we will suggest other organizations that you can contact.